Check out this neat blog featuring the actual Paul Rusesabagina made famous by his actions during the Rwandan Genocide and by the film Hotel Rwanda. For one e.c. point a piece (up to five total), you should read a post on the blog and write a one-paragraph reaction to it. Your response will only be accepted if it is titled, dated, has your name on it, and has careful handwriting and few to no spelling or grammar errors.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS BLOG
Take a look at the following link and read about the popular Cuban alternative blogger. Choose the lexile level on the right that is closest to your lexile level:
Answer the following questions about the article in your Centers packet:
1. Why can’t the newspaper be printed?
2. How will the newspaper be distributed?
3. Why might the writer have chosen to hide the name of the newspaper?
4. Name two ways that the government may try to hinder the newspaper:
5. Describe Law 88:
6. What is a problem with the Castro government, according to the end of the article?
Take a look at the English or Spanish version of one blog post by Yoani Sanchez. Try your best to make sense of her message:
Generacion Y (Spanish) Generacion Y (English)
7. Do you think that Yoani is heroic? If so, why? If not, why not? Use information from the newsela article as well as the blog post to support your ideas.
Explore her blog if you have extra time! Watch out for profanity and some mild nudity.